Henderson Chambers has an established environmental law team, is listed as a leading set for environmental law by the Legal 500 and is winner of the Chambers UK 2016 award for Environment Set of the Year. Our long-standing and recognised pre-eminence in common law nuisance claims and in public law has led to an ever increasing expertise in related areas of environmental law including risk management, pollution and waste management. Henderson Chambers boasts a wide range of environmental law expertise at all levels, from silk to junior. Members undertake a wide range of work, from large scale disasters to small individual claims and are adept at working both individually and in teams. Our members have been involved in seminal cases including Cambridge Water and Buncefield.
The environmental expertise of Henderson Chambers is recognised nationally and internationally. Whether it is the dumping of waste oils off the Ivory Coast, or the exposure to radiation during atomic testing in the South Pacific, Henderson Chambers provides expert Counsel to clients across the globe. From the claims of Peruvian miners and the claims of Colombian farmers to the claims of residents in the Niger Delta, Henderson Chambers are the experts at defending environmental damage claims and group actions.
Members have acted in cases involving the alleged contamination of land or sea by chemicals, sewage and airborne dioxins, contamination of industrial and domestic water supplies, large-scale workplace contamination by asbestos and industrial chemicals. Henderson Chambers has expertise in flood claims and local authority liability (such as tree root claims). Our advisory work is of equal importance, covering private law and public law civil proceedings, non-litigious policy issues, internal company policies, best practice guidance and parliamentary committees. We also advise regulators and landowners on Environmental Protection Act, Land Drainage Act and Water Resources Act notices and licences.
Recent and ongoing group actions include:
- Group action arising from noxious car emissions.
- The Bodo Litigation: defending petroleum company in oil pipe line spillage environmental damage claim in Niger Delta.
- Nigerian Off-shore pollution claims: defending petroleum company and in respect of alleged off-shore oil pollution and environmental.
- The Ogale Litigation: defending petroleum company in respect of alleged oil pollution and environmental damage in Niger Delta.
- Environmental pollution claims allegedly arising from mining activities in Zambia
- Colombian Farmers / OCENSA Pipeline litigation: Defending oil pipe nuisance, environmental and property damage claim in Colombia.
Charles Gibson QC
Call: 1984 Silk: 2001
Lawrence West QC
Call: 1979 Silk: 2003
Prashant Popat QC
Call: 1992 Silk: 2008
Rhodri Williams QC
Call: 1987 Silk: 2010
Geraint Webb QC
Call: 1995 Silk: 2013
Oliver Campbell QC
Call: 1992 Silk: 2014
Toby Riley-Smith QC
Call: 1995 Silk: 2016
Call: 2007 (Solicitor: 2005)
Reanne MacKenzie (Third Six Pupil)