Hazel welcomes instructions across the full range of Chambers’ practice areas both as sole and junior counsel. Hazel gained tenancy in April 2020 after undertaking her third six pupillage.
Hazel graduated from Cambridge with a First Class in both her MA in Law and LLM. She was then awarded an Outstanding on the BPTC at City University.
Prior to coming to Chambers, Hazel undertook her 12-month pupillage at Brick Court. She previously worked as a judicial assistant to Lord Justice Gross at the Court of Appeal, and as a stagiaire at the European Court of Human Rights.
Hazel welcomes all commercial instructions. Examples of current instructions include acting as junior to Patrick Green QC in a claim involving guarantees of commercial loans defended on grounds of alleged misrepresentation and undue influence.
She also assisted in a wide range of complex and international matters during pupillage. Examples of such work, where she has assisted her pupil supervisor, include:
- The Federal Republic of Nigeria v JP Morgan Chase Bank  EWHC 347 (summary judgment application on whether the bank owed a Quincecare duty of care).
- Cathay Pacific Airlines v Lufthansa Technik AG  EWHC 484 (whether a multi-million contractual dispute was properly allocated within Part 7 or Part 8).
- Omers Administration Corp & Ors v Tesco  EWHC 109 (representing the SFO in the Tesco overstatement of profits claim).
EU & Competition Law
Hazel had experience as a pupil assisting in a range of EU/competition cases, including:
- The CAT’s preliminary reference to the CJEU in the appeal of a finding of infringement of alleged ‘pay for delay’ settlement of patent litigation in respect of paroxetine.
- Actions for follow-on damages arising out of cartels, such as that concerning TV and computer monitor tubes.
Hazel continues to assist members of Chambers advising on matters relating to the law of the EU.
Group Actions and Product Liability
During pupillage, and as a tenant, Hazel has assisted various members of Chambers in multiple high-profile group actions in relation to consumer rights and defective products, including the Volkswagen NOx emissions litigation, and the UK claims that form part of a worldwide medical device product liability group litigation.
Public and Administrative Law
Hazel welcomes instructions relating to matters of Public and Administrative law. Hazel has begun work on the Attorney General’s off panel junior counsel scheme which has included advising the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy in her own right.
During pupillage, she assisted with a wide range of public law issues in both an advisory and contentious context. The work for her pupil supervisors included:
- R (Utilita) v BEIS (a challenge in respect of Smartmeters, involving questions of EU energy and environmental law).
- R (El Gizouli) v Home Secretary  EWHC 60 (a challenge to the Home Secretary’s decision to share evidence with the USA without requiring a death penalty assurance).
- R (ICAEW) v Lord Chancellor  EWHC 461 (a challenge to the Lord Chancellor’s decision not to allow the ICAEW to regulate legal services).
- Grounds of appeal against a decision concerning breach of substantive legitimate expectation.
Hazel has had experience in relation to various claims involving provisions of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008. She has also appeared in cases concerning jurisdictional issues in PPI claims.
Hazel welcomes instructions in relation to property disputes including injunction applications, possession claims, and other procedural matters.
Hazel welcomes instructions in Personal Injury cases and has experience advising on merits and quantum in a number of personal injury claims, including those relating to road traffic accidents, employers’ liability and infant settlements. She has also been instructed in road traffic claims on her own account.
News and articles
The Care Quality Commission: an essential guide to...
COVID-19 - Consumer Protection in the time of...
Offering food for sale after its labelled “use...
COVID-19 - Procedural Updates
Henderson Chambers welcomes new tenant Hazel...
Pupillage News at Henderson Chambers
Instructing Hazel Jackson
If you require help or advice please contact our clerking team
Call 020 7583 9020
Government Legal Department, Junior Junior Scheme (06/04/2020 to 04/04/2024)
- MA (Hons) Law, University of Cambridge (First Class)
- LLM, University of Cambridge (First Class)
- BPTC, City University (Outstanding)
- Phoenicia Scholarship, Bar European Group
- Kennedy Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn
- Pupil Residential Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn
- Hardwicke Entrance Award, Lincoln’s Inn
- Rosemary Murray Scholarship, Murray Edwards College
- Foundation Scholar, Jesus College
- Winner, ECHR Moot Court Competition
Bar Council Number: 69292
Legal Status: Barrister
Regulated by the Bar Standards Board.