Christopher practises in all areas of Chambers’ work, with an emphasis on commercial litigation and arbitration, health & safety, public law and consumer credit. He has also assisted on a number of EU and competition law matters. He is currently seconded part-time to the commercial litigation department of an international law firm.
Prior to commencing pupillage, Christopher worked as a paralegal in the litigation department of another leading firm of solicitors, with a particular emphasis on health & safety and financial regulatory law.
He graduated from Trinity College, Cambridge with a Double First in English before pursuing a career as a classical singer for several years. He is proficient in German and has a good working knowledge of French and Italian, and has had the opportunity to make use of his facility with foreign languages in his legal work.
Christopher was placed first in his year for the CPE in Legal Studies at London South Bank University, and completed the BPTC as an Astbury Scholar of the Middle Temple.
He is also an accredited mediator.
Christopher is developing a practice in commercial litigation and arbitration, frequently with an international dimension. He regularly advises, drafts pleadings, Part 18 Requests and Questions for Experts and is instructed to attend trials and interim applications in the County and High Courts, arbitration hearings and mediations for a range of commercial disputes involving issues of breach of contract, fraudulent misrepresentation, economic torts, conflict of laws, jurisdiction and foreign law.
Christopher has particular experience of Chancery, Commercial court proceedings and arbitrations under the LCIA rules.
- Advised on questions of jurisdiction in respect of a potential tortious claim for pure financial loss pursuant to the Rome II Regulation involving companies registered in both EU Member States and non-Member States (details confidential).
- Advised in relation to a potential LCIA arbitration for breach of a settlement agreement (details confidential).
- Advised in relation to implied contractual terms and admissibility of evidence of previous convictions in civil claims in respect of an LCIA arbitration (details confidential).
- Represented a pub-owning company in a claim for rent arrears and breach of a beer-tie arrangement.
- Represented a private corporate landlord in a strike out application in respect of a claim for rent arrears.
- Represented a company subject to insolvency proceedings in the Companies List of the High Court.
- Abbey Forwarding (In Liquidation) v HMRC : Christopher assisted Leigh-Ann Mulcahy QC and Adam Heppinstall in an inquiry as to damages on a cross-undertaking given by HMRC as part of a provisional liquidation order (as a pupil).
Health & Safety, Inquests
Christopher has a broad range of experience in health & safety including court proceedings and pre-trial advice, submissions and investigations. He has assisted in advising on prospects of success and strategy, and drafted pleadings including Defence Statements and notes in mitigation applying the Definitive Guideline. From his previous role as a paralegal at an international firm of solicitors, he brings with him extensive experience of advising on all aspects of the health & safety investigation and trial process.
He has experience of helping to advise private and public-sector clients, including government departments and members of the education, restaurant, transport and construction industries, on investigations and prosecutions under the Health and Safety at Work etc Act, CDM 2015 and food safety legislation.
Christopher has supported clients during interviews with the HSE, assisted with witness interviews, drafted witness statements and delivered client seminars on topics including internal incident investigations and the health & safety duties of company directors.
- Represented the second defendant at a sentencing hearing in the Crown Court for a breach of s3(1) HSWA involving a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning resulting from the accidental removal and bricking up of a live gas flue.
- Assisted leading counsel with advising on liability and prospects of success in respect of an HSE prosecution involving a fatality in the course of road resurfacing works.
- Assisted leading counsel with drafting submissions to the HSE prior to the decision over whether to prosecute.
- Assisted with drafting a Defence Statement in a case involving a fatality on a construction site (as a pupil).
Finance & Consumer Credit
Christopher is developing a practice in finance and consumer credit, and regularly drafts pleadings and is instructed to appear in the County Court for trials and interim applications on a range of consumer credit matters.
Earlier this year, he published an article on the proposed new Goods Mortgages Act in Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law.
- Represented a company in an application to set aside judgment in default in a claim for breach of a merchant services agreement involving issues under anti-money laundering legislation and drafted Defence in the same case.
- Regularly instructed in respect of credit hire claims.
- Assisted with a County Court trial on behalf of an assignee seeking enforcement of a credit card debt and an appeal in the High Court in respect of a loan agreement (as a pupil).
- Advice in respect of non-commercial agreements and unfair relationships (as a pupil).
- Advice in respect of the rights of third party purchasers in relation to fraudulently-obtained vehicle hire-purchase agreements (as a pupil).
EU & Public Law
Christopher regularly assists leading counsel in advising on a range of EU law matters, and has been instructed in respect of a number of public law cases.
- Assisted with drafting an expert legal opinion for use in arbitration proceedings concerning the alleged anti-competitive effects pursuant to EU law of an exclusive purchasing obligation in a contract for the supply of biofuel.
- Assisted with advising on the scope and jurisdictional reach of the European Arrest Warrant system and Framework Decision 2008/909/JHA on the application of the principle of mutual recognition for judgments imposing custodial sentences or measures involving deprivation of liberty.
- Assisted with advising a foreign client on a potential application to the European Court of Human rights for infringement of Article 6 ECHR (right to a fair trial).
- Appeared on behalf of three appellants before the First-Tier Immigration Tribunal and drafted the appeal.
- Assisted with advising on a number of matters with public law aspects, including freedom of information requests and determination of a lease held by a government department.
- Assisted with advising government clients on issues such as the free movement of capital and freedom to provide services (as a pupil).
Christopher is regularly instructed to act for landlords and tenants in a range of disputes, including possession claims and injunction applications on behalf of public and private clients. He also has experience of real property litigation.
- Advised in relation to health & safety duties, building regulations and freehold covenants in respect of a dispute over the obstruction of a supermarket’s means of escape in the event of fire over a neighbouring property.
- Advised in relation to service of notice to determine a licence at common law.
- Represented a private landlord in a possession claim involving housing disrepairs.
- Assisted with advising in respect of registered charges over property and undue influence.
- Assisted with advising in respect of a neighbour dispute involving breach of restrictive covenants and obstruction of a right of way (as a pupil).
Christopher is regularly instructed to represent claimants and defendants in the County Court, to advise on issues in relation to liability, quantum and settlement and to draft a wide variety of pleadings in personal injury claims.
- Advised on quantum and drafted particulars of claim and defences in respect of injuries suffered in a restaurant, a pharmacy and in the course of various road traffic accidents.
- Assisted with advising government, corporate and individual clients on claims involving mesothelioma, noise-induced hearing loss, narcolepsy, injuries resulting in serious neurological dysfunction and tuberculosis and frequently involving issues of health & safety, jurisdiction and combat immunity (as a pupil).
- Assisted with advising a travel agent on a claim for alleged food poisoning during a holiday abroad (as a pupil).
Product Liability & Professional Negligence
Christopher has worked on a wide range of contractual and tortious claims involving product liability and professional negligence, frequently entailing multiple claimants and issues of jurisdiction and conflict of laws. He is regularly instructed as a junior assisting leading counsel in claims involving complex technical matters, frequently before the Chancery or Commercial divisions of the High Court.
He has assisted leading counsel in advising on the recoverability of damages in complex contractual and tortious claims involving large international corporations and issues such as parent company liability for the acts of subsidiaries, penalty clauses and complex structure theory.
Court of Protection
Christopher has experience of the Court of Protection and related issues, including challenges to deprivation of liberty pursuant to s21A of the Mental Capacity Act 2005 and personal injury claims involving protected parties.
News and articles
Goods mortgages: updating consumer protection
Instructing Christopher Adams
If you require help or advice please contact our clerking team
Call +44 (0)20 7583 9020
- Contributor to Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law, March 2017
- Contributor to Safety & Health Practitioner, August 2015 (co-authored)
- Contributor to Safety & Health Practitioner, July 2015 (co-authored)
- Commercial Bar Association
- Health & Safety Lawyers’ Association
- Administrative Law Bar Association
- BA in English, Trinity College, Cambridge (Double First)
- Postgradute Diploma in Singing, Distinction and DipRAM, Royal Academy of Music
- KA Gesang (Singing), Distinction, Hochschule für Musik, Köln
- CPE in Legal Studies, Distinction (1st in Year), London South Bank University
- Astbury Scholar, Middle Temple
- Excellence Award, BPP Law School
- Routledge Cavendish Book Prize for Best Performing Student, London South Bank University
- BPTC, Very Competent, BPP Law School
- ADR Group Accredited Civil & Commercial Mediator